Vacancy Reference : 20649 / AGRO 002 / 2019 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
The Université catholique de Louvain invites applications for a tenure track or tenured full time position in Soil sciences
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research
and teaching collaborations. The position is attached to the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering and the Earth and Life
Institute that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The
Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique modern living environment inside a naturally preserved neighbourhood, conveniently connected to
the heart of Europe.
Description of the mission
The succe ssful candidate will have teaching assignments in the field of soil science and more generally in environmental and agricultural
The succe ssful candidate will develop and drive a cutting-edge research program at the forefront of soil science. He or she will conduct
innovative, collaborative and cross-disciplinary research focused on integrated approaches of pedogenetic, biological and geochemical
processes that are impacted by natural and anthropogenic changes (e.g. evolution of agricultural practices and/or changes within an
(agro)-ecosystem), which ultimately determine the soil quality (e.g. soil fertility) as a key for future sustainable agricultural production
Expertise in designing and performing field, experimental, laboratory and analytical research is considered an asset.
Application deadline: Thursday 15 November 2018 at noon
1st September, 2019
Further information :
- Prof. Philippe Baret, D ean AGRO – email@example.com
- Prof. Claude Bragard, President ELI – president-eli@uclouvain .be
Science and Te chnology Sector
Tasks : the applicant will:
- be responsible for teachin g courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of
- supervise the final d iploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- contribute to the international visibility of the University through tea ching and research excellence;
- Be available to ensure, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the U niversity and its entities.
- contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or coopera tion with
Qualifications : the applicant must have
- a PhD degree in sciences, engineering (o r. soil sciences) or any related discipline;
- a significant scientific record with international publications;
- either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had s ubstantial experience outside the UCLouvain;
- experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessm ents;
- the capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- reativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- the capacities required to undertake high-level academic research:capacity to raise research fundings, to supervise projects, to
animate and lead a research team;
- have team management and com munication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise,
you will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages.
Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The le vel of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection
with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: http://jobs.uclouvain.be/
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. An attention is also paid to reconciliation of
private life and professional life.
The offer's description is available here